Saturday, January 14, 2012

January 14th, 2012

Hi lady! You slept at Grandma and Grandpa's last night again. I think it's getting pretty normal for you. Your dad and I went to his staff party, and I'm so glad that you're going to see church done in and around these people. They're real, honest, laidback and goofy folk--who happen to think drinking shots is hilarious. It's just such a place of health that I'm happy that we've landed here. No church is perfect, but man, our family has been through the wringer with church hurt. It's nice to be in a place that while it's not perfect...is much MUCH safer than any other place we've been.

We had an ultrasound the other day, and you were cracking the technician up like crazy. She wasn't an easy egg, either. You asked her what her name was, and insisted that you're going to feed the baby yogurt, and when I told you I had to pee, you told me to "Squeeze your butt together, mom!" And then we found out that...we're having a girl! You're going to have a sister!

So crazy. I'm so overjoyed and glad that you get to experience having a sibling that's yours. I feel like all my life I've wanted to have that claim with someone and as deep as a friendship can go and as much as people say "we're sisters, or they're my REAL family"...there's something about know that genes and DNA and some mysterious tie makes that person legitimately yours in a way that they are no one else's. At least...that's how it looks to someone who has no siblings! Weird that you'll probably be each other's maids of honor, and you'll bitch about us to each other and know just what the other is talking about.

I'm excited to see you as a big sister. Your instinct is already to take care of all the other littles around you, so I'm so excited to be able to give you a little that's genuinely yours to snuggle and help take care of. We've got some growth that we need to do with you to get you to a place that I think we need to be when a baby comes:

I'd like you to be sleeping in a big bed. And I need to make snacks that you can get yourself from the refrigerator. I'd LOVE for you to be fully potty trained at night, we're still doing pull ups and nap and bedtime and you PEE. IT. UP. like the second you get a diaper on. I think we just need to take them off and let you have some accidents and then you'll be fine. We had to do the same thing during the day but you nailed it in a week as soon as diapers weren't an option...so I think we just need to suck it up and lose the diapers at night. And I think the last one is that you need to be able to go to the potty, wipe and wash your hands all on your own. Right now, I'm helping you still and I'm pretty sure if I set you up a little better you could do the whole thing by yourself. (I'm just envisioning myself nursing a baby and you needing to go to the potty and me unable to help...)

You're also painting about...oh, three hours a DAY right now. You love your watercolors and go back to them over and over, and each time you'll paint for a half hour or more. You love it! I'm saving all your pictures because daddy wants to make them into a big art piece for you. I'm glad because you are extremely "art prolific" and I was wondering what to do with all of it! (I tend to be unsentimental and throw things away, but I always feel a little bad, so I'm glad he's got a cool way to preserve stuff.

Alright, you goofy little peanut. I love you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment